Welcome! Big Picture Agriculture is produced by Kay McDonald, an independent agricultural researcher out of Boulder, Colorado. Because I am not funded by anyone, I have a rare, independent voice found nowhere else on the web in agriculture today. I count among my regular readers: Mark Bittman (NYT), Tom Philpott (Mother Jones), the WSJ, Bloomberg, CNN, NPR, National Geographic, CME Group, DTN, Boerderij and numerous other agricultural writers and main stream media publications.
Background: My formal education was in the humanities, science, and medicine. My career was in the areas of immunology and microbiology, including teaching and university research; plus, I’ve been a business entrepreneur. I’ve also had a lifelong interest in art, gardening, nutrition, and holistic health. Because I grew up on a farm in Northeastern Nebraska, where my family continues to farm, I understand the real-world issues of modern farming.
E-Mail: bigpictureagriculture (at) gmail (dot) com . Please note that I welcome e-mails and I read all of them, but do not have time to respond to each one.
Sister-site: On January 1st, 2014, I launched the site, Sowing Agricultural Seeds Daily, to be a stand-alone webpage which provides agricultural news. This is an invaluable resource which I hope many people take advantage of! (I got tired of the Twitter overload bombardment, and too many Email newsletters in my inbox, how about you?) The downside is that it’s not exactly a cash-cow.
“Big Picture Agriculture” aims to provide:
- The voice which has the holistic view.
- Early trend spotting. You will often see it here first.
- Help in problem-solving the many challenges facing agriculture today.
- A prioritized focus upon the energy issues facing agriculture, both in industrial production systems, rural living, and in the area of biofuels.
- Information about agriculture which appeals to a wide audience (organic and small farmers, investors, ecologists, academics, industrial agriculture participants, and food security specialists).
Work has appeared on:
- Boerderij Interview January 2014 print edition (largest farm magazine in Netherlands)
- Washington-Post on Fertilizer April 2013
- AGree on Synthetic Biology April 2013
- Mark Bittman, food writer for NYTs Links multiple times 2013
- Boerderij Interview January 2013 print edition (largest farm magazine in Netherlands)
- Al Jazeera Live News Interview August 20, 2012
- CNN Opinion Piece: “Paying more for food? Blame the ethanol mandate” August 2012
- NYTs Room for Debate: Corn’s Dominio Effect February 2011
- NYTs Dot Earth here and here and here
- Mother Jones/Tom Philpott and here SEP 2013.
- The Atlantic
- Forbes here and here
- Seeking Alpha Editor’s Pick: Will Price Inflation Of Meat, Corn, Food, And Farmland Continue? February 2012
- Michael Pollan, Naked Capitalism, Abnormal Returns, Energy Bulletin, The Oil Drum, CME Group, Genetic Literacy Project, and More.
Proudest Achievement: Running the marathon is less than four hours.
Contact: If you are interested in advertising on this site, if you wish to send a news tip, or if you wish to communicate, please contact me at bigpictureagriculture (at) gmail (dot) com.