Welcome! Big Picture Agriculture is produced by Kay McDonald, an independent agricultural researcher out of Boulder, Colorado. Because I am not funded by anyone, I have a rare, independent voice found nowhere else on the web in agriculture today. I count among my regular readers: Mark Bittman (NYT), Tom Philpott (Mother Jones), the WSJ, Bloomberg, CNN, NPR, National Geographic, CME Group, DTN, Boerderij and numerous other agricultural writers and main stream media publications.
Background: My formal education was in the humanities, science, and medicine. My career was in the areas of immunology and microbiology, including teaching and university research; plus, I’ve been a business entrepreneur. I’ve also had a lifelong interest in art, gardening, nutrition, and holistic health. Because I grew up on a farm in Northeastern Nebraska, where my family continues to farm, I understand the real-world issues of modern farming.
E-Mail: bigpictureagriculture (at) gmail (dot) com . Please note that I welcome e-mails and I read all of them, but do not have time to respond to each one.
“Big Picture Agriculture” aims to provide:
- The voice which has the holistic view.
- Early trend spotting. You will often see it here first.
- Help in problem-solving the many challenges facing agriculture today.
- A prioritized focus upon the energy issues facing agriculture, both in industrial production systems, rural living, and in the area of biofuels.
- Information about agriculture which appeals to a wide audience (organic and small farmers, investors, ecologists, academics, industrial agriculture participants, and food security specialists).
Work has appeared on:
- Boerderij Interview January 2014 print edition (largest farm magazine in Netherlands)
- Washington-Post on Fertilizer April 2013
- AGree on Synthetic Biology April 2013
- Mark Bittman, food writer for NYTs Links multiple times 2013
- Boerderij Interview January 2013 print edition (largest farm magazine in Netherlands)
- Al Jazeera Live News Interview August 20, 2012
- CNN Opinion Piece: “Paying more for food? Blame the ethanol mandate” August 2012
- NYTs Room for Debate: Corn’s Dominio Effect February 2011
- NYTs Dot Earth here and here and here
- Mother Jones/Tom Philpott and here SEP 2013.
- The Atlantic
- Forbes here and here
- Seeking Alpha Editor’s Pick: Will Price Inflation Of Meat, Corn, Food, And Farmland Continue? February 2012
- Michael Pollan, Naked Capitalism, Abnormal Returns, Energy Bulletin, The Oil Drum, CME Group, Genetic Literacy Project, and More.
Proudest Achievement: Running the marathon in under four hours.
Contact: If you are interested in advertising on this site, if you wish to send a news tip, or if you wish to communicate, please contact me at bigpictureagriculture (at) gmail (dot) com.